Friday, January 16, 2009

11 foods I'm supposedly not eating

The NY Times did a story that Men's Health originally did about the 11 foods "you" aren't eating. Taken literally, I hope you're not eating them now, because few of these foods would be welcome as you interact with the computer!

Here's the story.

How accurate are they? Are you eating some of the foods they list? Do you disagree?

1. Beets: YES – especially beet treat and grated on salads.
2. Cabbage: YES – especially in ground nut stew.
3. Swiss chard: YES
4. Cinnamon: YES, on oatmeal. Maybe I’ll splurge on that now.
5. Pomegranate juice: no. It doesn’t come in the CSA.
6. Dried plums: no. Do dried figs or dates give me any credit?
7. Pumpkin seeds: rarely.
8. Sardines: no
9. Turmeric: sometimes, again, now I’ll splurge and add extra when it goes in the curry.
10. Frozen blueberries: yes, if I can remember to eat them, which isn’t often.
11. Canned pumpkin: no, but I eat fresh ones in the fall, once in my bread (see the blog photo at top).
So I get 6/11, better than half but not great.

And I have a feeling my score will drop unless I find a CSA in the US.

How do you score?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Thu Jan 22, 02:38:00 PM PST , Blogger Chris and Tiana said...

I scored 6/11 too. But how often am I supposed to eat them? I counted it as yes if I ate that food any time in the past year. But the food we got in our CSA was only during the summer, spring, and fall, so I'm definitely not eating swiss chard and cabbage often now. I don't know if I played by the rules or not, but that was my score.

 
At Thu Jan 22, 02:43:00 PM PST , Blogger Michael said...

I counted them as a yes if I got into a pattern of eating those foods when they are in season. I suppose we all have to make our own rules.

But which of you is writing. I assume Tiana? Good on ya for getting more than half!

 
At Fri Jan 23, 12:56:00 PM PST , Blogger Chris and Tiana said...

Oh yes, definitely Tiana. Chris doesn't like a lot of the veggies we get in our CSA. And of course we all know Clara won't eat them. So I end up eating a lot of kale and chard by myself. Chris is a good sport, though. He'll at least try them and he'll often eat them even if he doesn't like them. He's a good husband :)

I counted it as a yes if I eat those foods when I get them in our CSA. I don't go out of my way to eat them, but I'll eat them if I get them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home