Thursday, April 03, 2008

Davis Cup 2008 QF

So the quarterfinals for the Davis Cup 2008 are set. I was good in my predictions about the first round, with the exception of Serbia just not showing up against Russia.

Spain vs. Germany


I wonder where Tommy Haas is for Germany as they face Spain at home. They'd have a real shot with him, especially if Kohlschreiber shows some of his Australian Open brilliance. Not sure they have much of a shot now, but depends on who shows up for Spain. Nadal and Ferrer are listed, so you certainly have to go with Spain if they are both in the line-up. Spain has had cancellations before (last year against the US) that hurt their chances.

US vs. France


Big matchup here, with Tsonga and Gasquet vs. Blake and Roddick. Home court advantage is big. I'd say the likelihood for singles is a 2-2 split, as Blake and Roddick are both playing well now, but so is Tsonga in particular. The order of play will be influential, if one side can go up 2-0, that's huge. If I'm US I want Roddick vs. Gasquet first. If I'm France, I want Tsonga vs. Blake. If either happens, the other will happen later that day, obviously. Blake beat Gasquet a few weeks ago. The Bryans are the chance to be the difference, but Llodra and Clement are no cakewalk.

Czech vs. Russia


The Czech team is very solid here, so I'm going with a Czech upset, even though it's in Moscow. Davydenko is playing better as of late, but Youzhny is hit-or-miss. Berdych and Stepanek are solid players, and their doubles team is quite good, too. Is this just wishful thinking? Maybe.

Argentina vs. Sweden


It's in Argentina on clay. Enough said. They'll win. Nalbandian and Cañas are brilliant players that will keep the rising Söderling busy, and they are far too much for Bjorkman, no matter how much I like him.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home