Monday, January 22, 2007

Modernity and the Death Penalty

When I went to Germany, I remember being asked by one of my housemates, as we discussed the death penalty, if I supported it. Having only lived in the US, where it is often allowed, and where we heard only the reasons why the US had the death penalty in High School government classes, I answered yes. Ingo was shocked.

"But you are a Christian, how can you support the death penalty?" he asked.

Indeed how?!?! I have met more people and learned more about the subject since then. I have a number of friends who go to the places where people are executed in our country to protest. One pleaded with a police officer: "They are killing a man in there. This is horrible, we have to stop it!"
Police officer: "I can't do that."
My friend: "But you could! It will continue until people like you and me decide to do just that: stop it."

I have a friend now, who is from Iraq. His family has been destroyed by Saddam Hussein and I don't mean that figuratively. He has run from Iraq, but when Saddam came to trial, he says:

"I don't understand. Why would you kill him. He's an old man. Put him someplace where he can do no more harm. Let God kill him."

I think my friend is wise. Even in George Bush's opinion, the leaked footage of Hussein's trial is just below [less] Abu Ghraib in terms of encouraging terrorism.

So I decided to do some research on what countries still allow the death penalty. Sudan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Libya, Saudi Arabia, China, Cuba, Somalia, Vietnam, Rwanda, Pakistan, Palestine, and the United States. Wow, that's some kind of company!

In fact, there are only three countries that are industrialized democracies that execute people: Japan, South Korea, and the United States.

It's not cheaper (endless appeals in court), it's not an effective deterrent, it's not a positive thing for society. 18 states don't execute currently (Kansas may start again, though). Why not all 50?

Info:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html
and
http://www.religioustolerance.org/executh.htm

Maps:




maps from religioustolerance.org

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home