Friday, July 22, 2005

With Molasses

Today I tried a new thing with my sourdough: using molasses. It's exciting stuff, turning the bread such a rich amber color. It's been a while since I've made sourdough, I had a scare.

About 6 weeks ago, I decided to start making sourdough everyday, and leaving the starter unrefridgerated. This meant I could make lots of sourdough, and that I spent some time making bread each day (with Sundays off and a few other days, too, when there just wasn't time). When I don't make it, I either save a cup and feed it, or just refridgerate the day before.

Well, some of it went too long unrefridgerated when I went on a trip with friends, and it turned bad. It smelled not quite of rotten eggs, but in that direction. Something in the vinegary direction as far as smells are concerned. Then, my other starter, which was ok, but still out of the fridge, started smelling more and more like that. My family was visiting and I didn't want to deal with sourdough stress, so I fed it and put it back in the fridge. I haven't tried to use it again.

But my backup starter, which I used today, smells fine.

Thomasina, a friend who also makes sourdough and many other breads (who is part of my inspiration for using molasses), said that it does sour up quite a bit after a few weeks out of the fridge. She said to split the starter and feed it more to reduce the sourness. It gets alcoholy.

I also ran out of yeast, so I tried a few times just letting it rise with the sourdough as levening. Worked ok, sourer bread, and lighter, fluffier. 8-12 hours rising I allowed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home